Become certified to lead in special education

Meet the requirements for Administrative and Supervisory Certification in Nebraska with an endorsement that qualifies you to supervise special education within a school. Demand is high for those with credentials in this area, since Nebraska Department of Education funding rules allow federal special education funds to reimburse part of a SPED administrator’s salary. This online master’s program can prepare you with the credentials, leadership skills and instructional expertise to oversee and improve SPED programs and services—making you an increasingly valuable asset for students, teachers and your school.   

Prerequisites: Valid Special Education endorsement with two years of experience as a Special Education teacher. Endorsements in School Psychology and Speech Pathology are considered Special Education endorsements, and serving as a school psychologist and/or speech pathologist is considered to be teaching experience.

Students pursuing certification in states other than Nebraska must check with their state’s Department of Education for certification requirements.

Career Opportunities with a Supervisor of Special Education Master's

  • Special Education Supervisor
  • Curriculum Director
  • Department Head

"I went into the program not exactly knowing what my path would look like. I was a teacher in the classroom and had been encouraged to go into administration. I wasn't exactly sure what I was expecting. However, now having gone through it, I have learned that there's so much to offer through this program. My expectations have grown and been exceeded by the university. I know that what I've gained from this program will allow me to be an even better teacher because of all that I've learned."

Jenn True

2nd Grade Teacher, Bryant Elementary

Benefits of a Master's Degree

A graduate degree helps you advance your career by qualifying for higher positions with additional leadership opportunities. The median salary for those with master’s degrees is 16% higher than for those with an undergraduate degree, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.